25 January 2012

25. Pro and Con

I'm considering the pros and cons of a standing desk or stand-up desk.

Pro: No more sore rear end.
Con: Potentially sore feet.

Pro: Novelty. First person in my office wing to have one.
Con: Weirdo.  First person in my office wing to have one.

Pro: Apparantly standing is better for your back.
Con:  My back is in relatively good shape compared with my ankles and achilles heels.

Pro: Might be able to get rid of my current really ugly desk.
Con:  Current really ugly desk weighs slightly less than a dump truck.

Pro: I like to read and write standing up.
Con: I would have to purchase ($) and assemble the stupid thing.

Pro: Would have to reorganize office.
Con: Would have to reorganize office.

Decision:  Undecided.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are movable "podium" type desks for the purpose of being able to stand or sit. The surface area isn't huge, but you can store a laptop on it and perhaps some other necessities. Another suggestion: instead of a standard desk chair, you should be sitting on a large exercise ball. Seriously. Reduces strain on your back, promotes movement and increases productivity. I wrote a draft for a proposal once to have a table/exercise ball classroom where all my students would sit on one at tables. Perhaps odd for high school, but I believed (after doing some serious investigations on current research) that it would be great for my students. Just some thoughts.