22 January 2012

22. Five Guys Boogers and Flies


At first, Sydney cackled with joy when I called it this.  Now she gives me a look of disgust and says stop.  I shouldn't call it this, but I can't help it. I mean it as a term of endearment--I love this place.  It's perfect.  Sydney loves it, too.  Which is why I should not exasperate her with gross comments about boogers and flies.  She's a big girl now, and too mature for such things. . . .

Except for most nights when she asks me to read her a story, and to include my world famous embellishments--the gross-out references to bodily functions I'm sure those authors meant to include but left hidden between the lines.  It takes the eye of a literature professor to see them.  To point out that after supper Snoopy usually takes a poopy may require a doctorate in literature. She's particularly fond of the thunderous "toot" that peels the paint off the walls, especially when the source is some prissy princess.  All of her favorite literary characters have managed one of these, though they're authors forgot to spell them out for us.

Just doing my job as a father and a literature scholar to point them out to my five year old.


MMMMM..... burger.


 

1 comment:

ismile4christ said...

I enjoy stories with those types of embellishments. We (the kids and I) tell those stories, too. Sometimes my cousins would rather act them out.