03 January 2009

thirty-nine memories (35)

Memory #35: Yoga, etc.

Today I did an entire 90 minute yoga workout. Is it a workout or a routine? Anyhow, the whole time I was doing it, I was looking at the people in the video that I was trying to follow and thinking things like: "I have got to be doing this wrong"; "Wow, that's an uncomfortable position"; "Breathe? Are you serious?", and so on.

And then, incredibly enough, when I was done, I was stunned at just how good I felt. I felt strong. I felt limber. I felt amazingly relaxed.

That's not much of a memory. Here's a memory. I can remember a time when people I knew well and thought pretty highly of thought yoga was some sort of instrument of the devil to get us all to become wierded out new age hinduist hippies. I think they might have been some of the same people who encouraged my entire youth group to burn our satanic records in a giant pyre outside the church one Sunday night. When the wind whipped up and it started to storm, it was taken as a clear sign that the devil didn't want us to burn our records. But lots of people did anyhow.

I didn't have any records. But that presentation by some vagabond youth minister, with all those backward masked records and creepy album covers, sure got me curious. So curious that I went to the drugstore day after day and thumbed through albums, looking for devilish symbols hidden in the cover art.

I remember my best friend Dave telling me that one of the stupidest things he ever did was to burn all of his Doors albums in one of those cultic record burning/smashing youth group sessions so popular in the late seventies and early eighties.

I wonder if those records, given up in a moment of misguided zeal, have come back to him ten or a hundred fold where he resides now?

3 comments:

D said...

Those burnings lasted just long enough into the 90s for me to witness one as a pre-adolescent, and for me to feel slightly embarrassed for only owning AVB cassettes and Newsboys CDs.

Christoph Roberts said...

I hope they have now gone the way of book burnings and witch burnings.

Jill said...

The burnings, sad to say, are very much alive to this day...

Luckily all I lost to them in my adolescence were some Weird Al and Blink 182 albums--nothing of any real artistic value...