31 December 2008

thirty-nine memories (29)


Memory 29: October 10, 2001

I've said many times that the most powerful worship services I've ever been in have been U2 concerts. I was a security guard (can you imagine?) for this concert, the opening concert of the third leg of Elevation tour, and the first U2 concert in the aftermath of 9/11. I think they very intentionally chose Notre Dame--home of the "fighting irish."

Definitely worth putting up with the ignoramus who was the supervisor of we one-time security guards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TCP-mdpSFE

There were so many great moments in the concert, but I liked these two especially. What's foreshadowed in Bono's rambling preamble to "One" is realized in the closing hymn, "Walk On."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwd1xoYRfDw

Apparantly, those really are NYPD and NYFD members on the stage. Is this shameless pandering to the intense emotions of the time, or is it a sincere celebration of courage and our longing for "home"? I like to think it is the latter.

Either way, the place erupted.

Love the "Pied Piper" image of Bono leading them around the heart shaped stage.

Hallelujah, he sings. And I think he really means it. I know I did.

No comments: