02 January 2009

thirty-nine memories (33)


Memory #33: 33

Larry Walker wore #33 when he played for the Colorado Rockies.

One very cold April day in 1997, Dave, Chris, and I went to a Cubs game and sat in the rightfield bleachers. The Cubs lost their twelfth in a row. Larry Walker hit a homerun. It was 33 degrees at game time.

After 8 innings of being heckled by the bleacher bums in rightfield, Larry Walker, turned around a couple of times and started heckling back. He made an 0-12 sign with his fingers. He put his hat on sideways and staggered around like a drunk, his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth, mocking the way the Cubs had been playing.

I liked him all the more that day, even though I love the Cubs more. He won the MVP that year.

Later that same evening, Dave, Chris, and I bought third row tickets to the White Sox game for ten bucks a piece from some guy right outside the stadium. It was 33 degrees at game time. It snowed.

I love baseball. Now I wear #33 whenever I get a choice.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just read your memories for 30 minutes... thanks for sharing and it was like we were catching up as old friends.

joe

Christoph Roberts said...

Shoulda read for 3 more minutes.