07 January 2009

thirty-nine theses (1-6)

Strong opinions, the first six:
  1. My harmonica playing does not hurt my dog's ears. He's not whining; he's singing along.
  2. If it comes to a choice between watching major league baseball or NFL football, only a vulgarian would choose the latter.
  3. There's a fine line between the genius of postmodern pastiche and plagiarism.
  4. There are no stories that are not true.
  5. Double negatives can be an effective rhetorical device.
  6. I don't want to know what I or anyone else ranks on an empathy scale, and I really, really don't want to know why some unimaginative nitwit decided we needed numbers to assess our empathy level.

4 comments:

D said...

Is thesis (6) limited to empathy scales, or could it apply more broadly to other emotions, personality traits, etc?

Here is a common example that comes to mind:

Rate you current relationship with Jesus on a scale of 1-10.

Are we to assume that these numbers have a real-world value (1 being an atheist Nazi and 10 being the beautific vision)?

Anonymous said...

In a world of relativism it would be refreshing to read the strong opinions of a sage.

Christoph Roberts said...

If you know a sage, let me know, and I'll publish her or his opinions on my page.

(In the end, I just couldn't resist the corny rhyme.)

Greg said...

2. Is it possible that the decline in popularity of America's true National Pastime is the greatest indicator of the so called "dumbing down" of the United States?
3. It is a dream of mine to write a pastiche of "Romeo and Juliet" entitled "Tybalt and Mercutio." It would begin before the events of Shakespeare's story and trace the conflict of the two spoiled brats ending with their deaths in what is Shakespeare's Act III scene i. I can just hear the Prince's new line: "For never was a tale of more woe/ Than this of Tybalt and Mercutio.
4. Absolutely