05 January 2009

thirty-nine memories (38)

Memory #38: Top Five Basketball Memories

5. The summer I was seventeen, playing by myself, in my driveway, every day of that summer for hours on end. I improved more in those three months than at any other time in my life.

4. I don't mean to brag, but playing with (arguably) the best starting five in Bethel history my sophomore year: Jody Martinez, Dave Troyer, Bob Knebel, and Pat Adkins.

3. I don't mean to brag, but the night (with that team above) when I didn't miss a shot--12 for 12 FGs and 5 for 5 FTs for 33 points. When you play with two all-american post players, you get some good looks at the basket.

2. Scoring 46 points against Jimtown my senior year in high school. I don't mean to brag, but I think I had a stretch where I made nine shots in a row. It was my mom's birthday, 1988.

1. NCCAA National Champions, 1992. I don't mean to brag, but we broke the ice with the first basketball national championship, and the 1990s came later to be known as a "decade of dominance."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you were a pain to guard I do know that!

However, fun to be a teammate with.

joe

Greg said...

You know, you should not brag too much about those 46 points against Jimtown. Everyone knows that Jimtown is a football school (except for that fluke in 2004 when they became the first Elkhart county school to win a state championship in basket ball--woot).