26 December 2008

thirty-nine memories (25)


Memory #25: Zapallo Grande

Allow me to continue the story from my previous post.

Our transportation from Borbon to Zapallo Grande was this long canoe thing with an outboard motor that rattled your teeth and tickled your nose. The woman and child beside me were hitchikers; we simply gave them a ride from one village to the next. Our ride was in the neighborhood of four hours long, mostly in the hot sun, and then four hours back, only a small part of it in the rain.

Can you see how narrow that board is that I'm sitting on? I don't have a lot of cushion down there, so to say the least, my bum was sore after this trip.

Jim Stump took this picture (and the picture in the previous post). Not pictured, then, is his everpresent Boston Red Sox hat. When we got to the jungle village we were showered by a chorus of "Boston sucks! Boston Sucks!"

Apparantly, even in the remotest equatorial jungle, they know.


1 comment:

Jill said...

This is hilarious.