22 December 2008

thirty-nine memories (21)

Memory #21: "I'm a Rebel"

It was July and I was driving home from mowing the lawn at Church on a Saturday evening a couple summers ago. "Prairie Home Companion" was on the radio. Garrison Kiellor introduced a group I'd never heard of--no big surprise there. He called them the Old Crow Medicine Show.

Have I mentioned that sometimes I really miss Jamaica?

The guy said, "We're gonna take you on back to the Caribbean for this next number." And then they played this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUU6jbBmJ6U

In some mysterious and secretly unique way, I was taken on back to the Caribbean with that little number.

I love that song; I love reggae music. And now I love bluegrassed reggae.

Have I mentioned yet that I love bluegrass music, also? I love it all the more because a lot of it is the best happy-feet before bedtime dance music any two and half year old blondie of a little girl ever heard. One of my best memories from this past summer is the early evening Jeanie, Syd, and I spent at the Osceola Bluegrass festival. We ate rib tips. We bought a one dollar piece of junk toy for Sydney--a fuzzy wire spider attached to stick with elastic like string that helped you to make the spider dance.

And we all danced--Sydney and the spider the least self-consciously--as the sun set in Fern Hunsburger Park.

What can I say. "I'm a soul adventurer."

No comments: