12 December 2008

thirty-nine memories (12)

Memory #12: Crayfish

The once rocky part of the Baugo Creek, the part down by the bridge over C.R. 1, at my parents house in Wakarusa, was home to oodles of crayfish. I used to catch them.

The trick was to turn over a rock and have a big cup ready for when the thing tried to swim away. I liked to put two similarly sized crawdads into a tin bucket, shake the bucket up, and then watch them fight.

I liked it. But then I didn't like it.

I don't know what pain freshwater crustaceans feel when they are clawed to pieces by a brother. I just came to feel something like remorse for my cruelty.

2 comments:

Keith Penhorwood said...

I've been enjoying your series of thirty-nine memories (since I started them today). I think my two favorites are the ones about your friend Dave, and the selection from your disertation about Morgan.

What is the book you keep referencing about a "Modern Mystic?"

Christoph Roberts said...

"Letters by a Modern Mystic" by Frank Laubach. Out of print, but check a good library.