17 January 2012

17. What Sydney Ate After School

1 small bag of doritos
4 miniature reeses peanut butter cups
1 half glass of pink lemonade
9 baby carrots with ranch dip
Two thirds of a miniature ice cream sandwich
and... some baked goldfish crackers

She has put in a request for for mama to pick her up a "slurpee" on her way home from her meeting.

Ok. So am I a good papa for insisting that she eat some carrots--as if they would counterbalance all that garbage and ease my conscience a bit? Don't answer.

I do remember the feeling of being half starved at the end of a school day. I remember in middle and high school going home finally after a practice close to dinner time feeling woozy, grumpy, with a splitting hunger headache far too many times. I can't imagine that as the healthiest way of existence, either. I don't feel so bad that a famished little girl ate a bunch of junk food this afternoon. I suppose a peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread, an organic apple, and some of those baby carrots might be a snack Dr. Oz would want my daughter eating, but I also don't think she's taken any years off her life today by eating all this junk. And she's happy as a lark. :-)

No comments: