19 July 2011

diamond notes (10)

A lot of fastball (that's the Canadian term for fast-pitch softball) has been played since I last wrote. Seven games actually. We won five of them and lost two. I was 9/23 (.433) with one very long home-run (7), which I'm going to tell you about, because it occurred to me after I hit it that I will very likely never hit a softball that far again the rest of my life. I'm 41, remember.

The right-field fence on the diamond we were playing on was 275', which is actually long for fastball (they're usually 235'-260'). About fifteen paces beyond the right-field fence, there's a picnic shelter/roofed pavilion. The 2-0 pitch I hit landed at the peak of the roof. My coach said he thought it went 350'.

The next morning, leading off our game, someone from our dugout yelled, "Let's go, Pavilion." As I'm batting, the umpire laughed and said, "Pavilion... I like that. I got to tell the story of your home-run over beer last night."

So no matter what happens, there's always going to be that one time I hit a colossal bomb onto the picnic pavilion in Frankenmuth. Which is nice.

...

p.s. I'm not even sure it was the longest home-run of the tournament. I saw three others that went, what I thought was, at least as far. But they didn't land on the roof of anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've still got it, Kid ;)

ismile4christ said...

Hey, so what about "Pavilion" for your nickname? Or have you found one yet? I think about that every once in a while, and I haven't come up with anything.

ismile4christ said...

Oh, and our slow pitch softball field at our church is 267'. Our pastor (47) and a guy named Zech (28) hit home runs almost every practice and during many of our games. Some go on our gym roof (close to 300' out by left field), some go into the trees beyond the left field fence (probably about 350' or so), and one time Zech hit one on top of the apartment roof beyond right center (I don't know how far that would be...at least 350'). Also, at a tournament in June there was a smaller field at Plym Park in Niles that we called "Little Fenway" because of the tall fence in left field. So many home runs were hit over that fence that day, and we couldn't find most of the balls. We searched in the trees and weeds and poison ivy that separated the field from the parking lot to the Berrien County Health Department/Courthouse beyond the fence. Finally someone heard one of the balls hit the pavement in the parking lot and figured out the balls were bouncing onto the roof of the building. I wonder how many are still there.