20 December 2008

thirty-nine memories (19)

Memory #19: "Boston Sucks"

So it's July of 2001, and we're walking to our seats in right field at Yankee Stadium: Jeanie and I and all of the Stumps--Chris, Connor, Trevor, Casey, and the philosophy professor/dad, Jim. The Yankees are playing the Blue Jays this day; we arrive just a little late for the start of the game because the traffic was horrible.

Anyhow, we're making our way to our seats, up the stairs in the right field bleachers, when a guy stands up in the middle of the crowd and starts pointing somewhere behind me and chanting "Boston sucks! Boston sucks!"

Professor Stump (did I mention he's a very smart guy?) is a huge Red Sox fan. When I get to my seat, I realize that pretty much the entire section of bleachers is now standing, chanting wildly: "Boston sucks! Boston sucks!" pointing at James B. Stump, PhD, who happens to be wearing his Red Sox hat to the game between the Yankees and the Blue Jays in Yankee Stadium.

Allow me to shift tenses here. I think I'm not mistaken that his beloved wife, Chris, removed Jim's hat before he was able to sit down, and his loyal sons showed their support of their father by laughing hysterically.

Philosophically speaking, there was but one conclusion to draw from the experience: Boston sucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once wore my Boston hat through downtown Chicago.
He should try that next.