11 October 2008

Must a senior pastor have a penis?

At the church I used to attend, the pastor insisted that you have one in order to serve as an elder. At present, the leaders of my denomination appear to think you need one to be a senior pastor. The Roman Catholic church has inisted that priests have one.

Perhaps I lack imagination, but I can't figure out why that body part is so essential to particular kinds of ministry.

Below, N.T. Wright explains far better than I ever could why I have long thought (as you can tell by the sardonic title of this post) such a position is nonsense and cannot be supported from scripture.

http://www.cbeinternational.org/new/pdf_files/wright_biblical_basis.pdf

2 comments:

D said...

When this first showed up in my google reader, I thought it was posted on the Bethel Blogs website . . .

Thanks for the link to Wright's article.

I've been promoting this book like crazy, but I'll do so again here: Check out Scot McKnight's new book, The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible, for a good discussion of the biblical rationale for women in ministry.

Christoph Roberts said...

That blog has an "editor." Think of this blog as the "unedited" (and perhaps, unrated) version.